Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Back to the Future


I recently completed my sixth class in my Assemblies of God ordination studies. The class was on the Pentateuch, the first five books of the Old Testament written by Moses. The study was encouraging, enlightening, and full of hope.

The Old Testament points to God's plan of redemption for fallen humanity as far back as Genesis 3:15, where God says to Satan,  "I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel.” In God's Son, Jesus, victory over sin and subsequent death has been granted once and for all. Jesus crushed Satan when he rose from the dead and His victory has been imparted to those who by Faith receive Him as their personal Lord and Savior.

Throughout the Pentateuch we are reminded of who we are in God's plan, His standard of holiness, and how desperately we need a Savior. God's law as expressed through the ten commandments and Leviticus 19 can never be satisfied in our efforts or desire to please Him. The law exists to point us to our profound need of a savior.

The wonderful instruction, commands, promises, and blessings found in the first five books of the Old Testament set the foundation for our faith in Christ. The first step in coming to saving faith in Jesus in acknowledging our sin. We know what sin is because it is outlined in the Pentateuch. Without acknowledging sin we cannot acknowledge our need for a savior. Paul said in Romans 7:9, “I was once alive apart from the law, but when the commandment came, sin came alive and I died. ” It is in our realization of how sinful we really are that drives the consuming need to look to our Savior.

When I came to Christ over 15 years ago and picked a Bible for the first time I didn't start reading in Genesis, I started in John. As I matured in my faith I began to study the Old Testament and my eyes were opened to see Christ everywhere in the Bible, not just the New Testament. I want to encourage you, if you have never studied the Old Testament, particularly the Pentateuch, to commit to doing so. I believe that this trip back to the future will open your eyes to the love and provision of God and His wonderful plan for your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment