Saturday, August 13, 2011

Did Michelangelo really carve the Statue of David?


A guest blog by Stacey Leighty

Someone recently told me: “I’m too logical to believe there is a God.”  This statement has been weighing on me ever since.  Mostly because I consider myself to be an extremely logical person (what with being a math major and everything) and I believe in God.  All of my ponderings have led me to the conclusion that I’m too logical to believe there is no God.  Follow my thought process, if you will.

For some reason, I started thinking about the (new) seven wonders of the world – here are just a few of them:

  1. The Great Wall of China – built between 5 BC and 16 AD, it’s the world’s longest manmade structure.  But, how do we know it’s manmade?  Were any of us there when it was built?  How do we know that rocks didn’t just fall into place over thousands or millions of years to create this wall?  Sure, there were eyewitnesses to the building process, but I’ve never met them either.  How do I know they’re trustworthy?
  2. Christ the Redeemer Statue – a 130 ft. tall concrete and soapstone statue towering over Rio de Janeiro.  It was designed by Heitor da Silva.  I didn’t know who designed it before I looked it up, but I knew there was an artist/designer.  It will be illogical to think otherwise.
  3. The Taj Mahal – built between 1632 and 1648, it’s a mausoleum commissioned for an Indian emperor’s wife.  It actually incorporates quite a few different architectural styles in its design.  But, again, how do we even know that there was an architect?
  4. Petra – an ancient city in Jordan literally carved out of the rock.  Who carved it?  Would it be logical to assume that years of wind and water somehow carved out beautiful, inhabitable buildings in the stone?
So, here’s the conclusion I came to: I believe that all of these “wonders” had a builder or artist or architect for one reason – they exist.  Their mere existence points to the fact that they were indeed built or designed by someone.  I see a building and I know there was a builder.  I see a piece of art and I know there was an artist.  Yet, we see all of creation around us and some would say that there is no Creator?  How can this be?  The human eye is more complex than any of these wonders, and yet it’s logical to believe that it came into existence by mere happenstance?  That, in my opinion, is illogical.  I think it takes far more faith to believe that everything we see around us came into being with no Creator orchestrating it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment